Apples are considered to be a healthy fruit, but apple seeds can be harmful to our health. Apple seeds contain an element called M. gidelin that secretes cyanide, which turns into hydrogen cyanide as soon as it comes in contact with the digested enzymes of our body.
This can make you sick and your life in danger. Although a small amount will not harm your body but consuming too much of it can cause you many kinds of physical problems, which we will discuss further.
Amygdalin is a cyanogenic glycoside composed of cyanide and sugar. When metabolized in the digestive system, this chemical degrades into highly poisonous hydrogen cyanide (HCN). A lethal dose of HCN can kill within minutes.
What will happen if you accidentally eat Apple seeds?
Apples are considered to be very beneficial for our body, doctors recommend eating apples daily, in such a situation, if you were not aware of the loss of apple seeds so far and you eat one apple or two-three apples every day, will your body suffer?
The answer is no. Apple seeds eaten in small quantities will not harm your body as much, but if you consume them in excess, then your health can deteriorate, so it is better that you consume apples after removing the seeds.
What makes apple seeds toxic?
There is an element called amygdalin present in the seeds of the apple, which starts to release cyanide as soon as it comes into contact with the digestive enzymes of our body. This cyanide is harmful to our body.
If you feel that you have eaten apple seeds many times and you have not suffered any kind of issues, then you must know that apple seeds are like slow poison, which can cause damage when consumed in excess or large amount.
In addition to apples, cyanide is also found in the seeds of apricot, cherries, plum, peaches and fruits. These seeds contain a protector layer that preserves the element called Amygdalin within it.
How many apple seeds do you have to consume to die?
Humans are vulnerable to cyanide toxicity at concentrations of 0.5–3.5 milligram per kilogram body weight. Stomach cramps, headaches, nausea, and vomiting are all symptoms of cyanide poisoning, which can lead to cardiac arrest, respiratory failure, coma, and death.
Humans can die from as little as 1.5 micrograms per kilogram body weight. According to a recent study, apple seeds contain about 3 milligrams of amygdalin per gram of seeds (one seed is approximately 0.7g).
Because not all of this mass will be transformed to hydrogen cyanide (some of it will be the sugar component of the molecules that is broken off), you’ll need to consume a lot of apple seeds to poison oneself, and there don’t appear to be any cases of this happening.
Consequences of Consuming Apple Seeds
1. If a cup of apple seeds contains roughly 200 seeds, the cyanide found in the seeds can cause serious harm to the heart and brain if consumed. Eating a large number of seeds at once might cause a person to die or fall into a coma.
2. Consuming an excessive amount of apple seeds might result in difficulties breathing, an increase in heart rate, respiratory failure, and loss of consciousness.
3. Apple seeds are dangerous even in little amounts; when consumed, symptoms such as bodily discomfort, nausea, vomiting, stomach ache, dizziness, weakness, or confusion might occur.
4. Because cyanide is so harmful to our bodies, it is also known as poison. The cyanide in apple seeds aids in the production of oxygen in human bodies. It may be difficult for you to breathe as a result of this.
5. Apple seeds can help lower blood pressure. A significant number of seeds in the body will cause harm because they do not absorb the person’s body weight. A human can be poisoned by cyanide in concentrations ranging from 0.6 to 3.6 mg per cello. It does not, however, reflect on the person’s ability to tolerate. 0.05 to 0.25 cyanide can be found in 1 gramme of apple seeds.
The apple seed may not cause as much damage to the body by getting gutted, but you also want to consume apples without peeling the apple seeds. If you consume a few seeds by mistake, then it doesn’t matter, but do not consume them knowingly.
Please let us know your feedback on this article in the comments👇